There is a cutting edge paradigm of health coming to the forefront of modern health care called Functional Medicine. The term “Functional Medicine” has been around for more than twenty years. However, the growth of functional medicine in the past five years is reaching critical mass. Functional medicine understands that the cause of any symptom or illness is multifactorial and is not solved utilizing a pharmaceutical, symptom-based approach. Addressing issues such energy metabolism, cellular inflammation, hormonal imbalances and digestive issues takes some investigation and digging for the deeper cause.
Our Treatment Philosophy
Functional medicine involves understanding the origins, prevention, and treatment of complex, chronic disease. The focus is on patient-centered care, not just treating the symptoms. Health is viewed as positive vitality, not just the absence of disease. By listening to the patient and learning his or her story, the practitioner brings the patient into the discovery process and tailors treatments that address the individual’s unique needs.
Functional medicine practitioners look upstream to consider the complex web of interactions in the patient’s history, physiology, and lifestyle that can lead to illness. The ultimate goal is not only to improve your health if you have a chronic illness, but also to prevent future health issues. Another way of explaining functional medicine to patients is with the Functional Four P’s:
- Predictive because we can reliably foresee many vulnerabilities and imbalances that a person is most susceptible to.
- Preventative, with research clearly indicating our interventions are effective in eliminating symptoms and reducing the likelihood of developing many of the modern chronic illnesses.
- Proactive because it involves patient participation, not just taking drugs or supplements that another practitioner has prescribed.
- Personalized because we create and provide a tailored action plan that fits the patient’s individual needs. This is based on an understanding of each person’s unique physiology using the appropriate laboratory and clinical examinations.
Functional Medicine has been proven to help with a wide variety of health issues, including:
- Adrenal disorders
- Autoimmune disease
- Cardiovascular disease
- Chronic fatigue
- Chronic sinusitis
- Chronic infections
- Digestive disorders (IBD, IBS, GERD/Reflux)
- Elevated cholesterol
- Environmental and food allergies
- Female disorders (PMS, Menopause, Infertility, PCOS)
- Hormonal imbalances
- Interstitial cystitis
- Mercury and heavy metal toxicity
- Metabolic syndrome, pre-diabetes, insulin resistance
- Migraines and headaches
- MS (Multiple Sclerosis)
- Overweight and obesity
- Sleep disorders and insomnia
- Thyroid Disorders
Dr. Lazarus specializes in treatment for the following conditions: